Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Preparing for 1.0

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:44:51 -0800
Gianluca Varenni wrote:

Wiretap saves the offset of each packet into memory to support random access to the file. The offsets should be 64 bits, and together with the offsets you need to save the byte order of that block, or alternatively the ID of the section containing the packet (a file can contain multiple sections, each one with a different byte order, different interface descriptions, bla bla bla).

What will the API offered by NTAR be to allow random access? Will it maintain the byte order table (so that it will look up the offset and determine what byte order to use), or will the caller of NTAR be expected to supply that?

Probably the list of interfaces and/or sections in a file will be saved in some specific pcap-NG structure used by wiretap, so no direct modification should be done in wiretap for this (not 100% sure, correct me if I'm wrong).

Wiretap will need to provide an API that supplies interface information to its caller; as it supports non-libpcap and non-pcap-NG files, it would probably need to supply that in a form abstracted enough to handle other file types.