Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Too many pcap_open_live calls during capture loop

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 08:18:07 +0100
Jacques, Olivier (OCBU-Test Infra) wrote:
It seems (hard to say for sure, as I generated traces to a file / not a
breakpoint), that the pcap_open_live is called for each packet received.
That's very strange and certainly not (directly?) caused by Ethereal.
Is there anything specific done by Ethereal with pcap/wpcap at the time
a packet is received?
No, Ethereal calls pcap_dispatch, so WinPcap will call ld->packet_cb which is actually capture_loop_packet_cb for each packet.

I'm pretty sure that Ethereal is calling pcap_open_live only once for a whole capture run.
I'm not at the office currently, but I'll try to have a further look at
that next week.
Are you *sure* that your trace message texts are correct (not a cut and paste error)?

Regards, ULFL