Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Several conversations

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 02:43:35 -0800
Neil Piercy wrote:

I've come across a couple of occasions where it would have been nice to include an arbitrary (say 32 bit) "sub-conversation" id to distinguish between multiple conversations between the same transport endpoints. The use I had in mind was for protocols which provide multiple endpoints to their higher layers whilst using a single transport endpoint below, and you wish to track the conversations within those higher layer endpoints.

I've not got round to doing anything about it (yet), but would this be a good thing to add to the existing conversations, or add a new API along side the existing ones ?

A "sub-conversation" scheme such as that would probably be useful. It'd involve new APIs in any case.