Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] protocol description language

From: Fulvio Risso <fulvio.risso@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:24:38 +0100
LEGO wrote:
Hi,

While rewriting the XML dissector I wrote a generic parser module that
even if it is slow it's powerful and versatile.

Later on while experimenting for abnf2eth (a never written tool I
planned to use to rewrite at least megaco and mgcp) I came up with TPG
(Text Parser Generator) a prtotype that I did not like myself but I
still wanted to preserve for future reference.

Implementing a protocol description language on top of tvbparse is
something I like to do somewhere in a not too far  future. Not wanting
to reinvent the wheel again (I did it for TPG) I wanted to know if
there's such a thing as a protocol description language able to
describe both text and binary protocols I can Implement for ethereal.

One option is the NetPDL language.

Some pointers:

Mario Baldi, Fulvio Risso, NetPDL: An Extensible XML-Based Language for Packet Header Description, Elsevier Computer Networks Journal (COMNET).
   http://staff.polito.it/fulvio.risso/pubs/05Comnet-NetPDL.pdf

Mario Baldi, Fulvio Risso, Using XML for Efficient and Modular Packet Processing, Proceedings of IEEE Globecom 2005, St. Louis, Missouri, USA, December 2005.
   http://staff.polito.it/fulvio.risso/pubs/05Globecom.pdf

A pointer to a more detailed description of the language (although a bit outdated; new specs have not been published yet):
   http://analyzer.polito.it/30alpha/docs/dissectors/NetPDL.htm

Cheers,

	fulvio

Any pointers or Ideas?