Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] external plugin and exported symbols

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 23:34:58 +0100
Paolo Abeni wrote:
Hi,

I have developed an external plugin to enable ssl decryption in
ethereal.
Do you use a "special" lib for this, or is this an implementation from scratch?
It works well under Linux, but I got some problems to compile
it under windows: It seams that a few symbols defined in the libethereal
API are not published in the libethereal.def export file.

The relevant symbols are:

p_rem_proto_data
Please note, that I've recently renamed this function, it's now called p_remove_proto_data.
se_alloc0
tvb_memeql
dissect_x509af_Certificate

I suppose that the libethereal.def is a bit outdated.
Not really. The symbols you find in libethereal.def are the ones the others needed in their plugins, so they'll added them.

We don't have every possible symbol in this file, just because no one finds the time and is willing to do the job :-)
I solved the
problem redefining this function in my code, but can anyone update the
export file ?!?
Could you send a patch?
I have also developed an external plugin to add a 'Follow SSL Stream'
functionality (like follow TCP stream, but show the decrypted data).
There are other such functionalities in the WishList (like Follow UDP Stream), it seems to be a very useful function to the general public :-)
used some more functions defined into the ethereal binary to access the
gui and the capture file. Again it works under linux (even it's quite an hack) but not under
windows (the executable does not export any symbol). Why don't add some
basic gui functions to the ethereal API ? It will help creating more
advanced and useful plugins ( and will solve my problem, too :-)
Why not simply adding it to Ethereal itself instead of a plugin?
For anyone interested in the detail all the code is here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=155260

Regards,

Paolo

p.s. I wrote similar mails in the previous days but apparently they got
lost
Don't feel discouraged.

The mailing list (and I) were quite busy in the recent days (others maybe as well) ...

Regards, ULFL