Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Dissector design advice needed

From: "Bryan Miller" <millerb@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 18:00:03 -0800
Hello all,

I am getting ready to write a dissector for a client/server application that
is largely RPC based.  The application "protocol" (using that term very
loosely here) is based upon ~20 RPC program numbers with each program
containing 10-100 procedures.  For most of the procedures I only need to
display the procedure name.  There are a few programs where I will drill down
and provide detailed dissection data for the procedures.

All that to say, I am looking for design advice and recommendations that might
help abstract much of the repetition and make it more manageable.

I am familiar with the RPC specific functions; rpc_init_prog() and
rpc_init_proc_table() which may help to some extent.

Thanks in advance!

-Bryan