Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Netflow v9 templates

Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 08:29:14 -0600
Monotori,

I understand your concern, but is it really and either/or question? Wouldn't it be possible to set up a Cisco template as a default option within the larger framework, maybe with an XML-ish syntax for field definitions? I know it's asking a lot, and I wish I had the programming skills to contribute myself. It's just frustrating to go from the nice v5 decodes to a hex blob in v9. Cisco is dropping v5 compatibility as they fix omissions in their Catalyst Netflow exports, so we are increasingly being forced into v9. Hard to believe Cisco would change the default v9 format suddenly, their own Netflow collector is too fragile, let alone all the third-party tools they would break.

Thanks,

Paul