Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Patches to realign Ethereal/Tethereal documentation

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 11:58:18 -0700
Graeme Hewson wrote:

I'm afraid I pretty much gave up on the -z option; maybe someone more familiar with the protocols could look into the differences.

Note that some differences might be due to a tap being graphical, so that it's unavailable in Tethereal.

I noticed that Ethereal talks about SRT for -z dcerpc and -z smb, while Tethereal talks about RTT.

I think SRT (Service Response Time) is the current term.

There are also some minor changes to the documentation, including changing references to "read filters" in Tethereal to "display filters"

Note that a "-R" filter could be used in Tethereal in a fashion that doesn't involve displaying (e.g., "tethereal -i en0 -w only-nfs.pcap -R nfs"), which was the reason I coined the phrase "read filter" for the use of Ethereal filter expressions in Tethereal. (I.e., the different terms aren't the result of the documents drifting apart, they were intentionally made different.)