Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] FW: hp-ux 11.11 eth 10.x and Gdk-CRITICAL

From: "Eden, Edward - St. Louis, MO" <edward.eden@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:27:21 -0500

That version of libpcap with the patch makes tcpdump work, but ethereal doesn’t with the  (recv_ack: promisc_phys: UNIX error - Device busy) error.

But, I have discovered (before or after the the new libpcap) that going to any menu entry (except capture) crashes and makes a core.  Oh well.

You want the patch to have the “}” in the following line.

*** 1039,1045 ****
               /*
                * For any error other than a UNIX EBUSY, give up.
                */
!              if (uerror != EBUSY)
                       return (-1);

               /*
--- 1039,1049 ----
               /*
                * For any error other than a UNIX EBUSY, give up.
                */
!              if (uerror != EBUSY) {
!                      /*
!                       * dlbindack() has already filled in ebuf for
!                       * this error.
!                       */
                       return (-1);
!              }
               /*

>> Found it. There is a known problem where you should not use –lc when

>> you link. Linking in libc is handled for you by the linker. If –lc is

>> used it overrides the order of libraries that is needed for the

>> dlopen() call that glib makes. I linked by hand and left off the –lc

>> and it works.

>That sounds like a libtool bug.  (We don't put the -lc in there

>ourselves.)  You might want to report this to the libtool developers.

>> But guess what, just like the other ppl, I’m now getting

>> recv_ack: promisc_phys: UNIX error - Device busy when trying to capture on the interface.

>If this is a version of libpcap prior to 0.9.1, get the source to 0.9.3 from tcpdump.org, apply the attached patch to it, build and install >it, and, if necessary, reconfigure Ethereal to build with that version and try it.  (The patch is as yet untested.)

-snip-