Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Cleaning out local plugin collection

From: Lars Roland <lars.roland@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 15:44:25 +0200
Lars Roland schrieb:
Hello Jaap,

Jaap Keuter schrieb:

Hello list,

I found that if you build the target clean (on a Win32 lpatform), all
final compilation products are removed from the tree. Only the $(VERSION)
directory, containing all the plugins remains, which is not correct IMHO.
This is a result from clean not depending on clean_deps.
This same issue affects the clean target in the top Makefile, which
doesn't clean out the stuff from building the target install-deps.

My sugestion is to add clean_deps as a dependancy to clean in the top
Makefile.nmake

When I introduced install-deps and clean_deps target, I thought about adding clean_deps as a dependency to one of the clean targets but I wasn't sure about to which one. the "clean" target removes all standard compilation products, while "distclean" also removes pre-built products from released source tarballs. I'm not so sure about the difference between "maintainer-clean" and "distclean".

correcting myself now. as a comment in the main makefile sais:
# "distclean" removes all files not part of the distribution.
# It does not remove generated files that are part of the distribution.

# Make "maintainer-clean" only if you would like to remove ALL generated
# files.
# Be sure to have python and perl installed to regenerate them.

Applying this definition, "clean_deps" shouldn't be called by these clean targets, as it doesn't remove any generated files. It s more like "clean_setup" which removes files ethereal depends on. While "clean_setup" removes files needed to compile Ethereal, "clean_deps" removes files needed to run Ethereal.

Best regards,
Lars