Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Bugzilla proposal: change some fields to better suit our need

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:42:52 -0500
Joerg Mayer wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 09:46:19AM +0200, Ulf Lamping wrote:
>
>>Well, if there's a way to *edit* this field, than this would be the
>>right thing. But it is currently not and I don't know if this can be
>>changed in bugzilla.
>>
>>Having a drop-down list with *every* subversion might not be a good
>>idea, this list could become *very* long.
>

> No, what I want: just select svn. Then enter the exact version in the Text.
> I don't see any other feasible way.

There isn't any way to make the version field a textentry instead of a
drop-down list without a fair amount of recoding.  The version field can
be used for reports, and it would be difficult to make it free-form.

It's possible to create a template that would let users paste the
version information into a text field, and have that added to the
description.

>>>I think just one field (i.e. severity) is enough. I'd propose
>>>
>>>Security
>>>Crash/Hang
>>>Bug
>>>Documentation
>>>Featurerequest
>>>

>>I would think, having a "Patch" option might be a good idea. This way,
>>we can handle the patches more efficiently than today, and just won't
>>forget them (which we sometimes do).
>

> Ah, now I understand. Good idea!

It's pretty difficult to add new fields to Bugzilla.  You fake them by
adding them to the initial comment:

    http://www.gerv.net/hacking/custom-fields.html

You can also rename them.  Having separate "Priority" and "Severity"
choices seems odd.  What if we were to leave "Priority" as-is, and
rename "Severity" to "Type", with the following choices:

Bug
Enhancement/Wish List
Patch

>>IMO the Documentation is a component of Ethereal and not a severity thing?!?
>

> This makes me rethink the component stuff again. On second thought I don't think
> it's necessary to do this component stuff at all. Will most users know what to
> fill in? Do the developers need this? In case you haven't noticed: I'm a fan of
> as few fields as possible :-)

Ack.