Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Ethereal crashes while opening a file

From: "März, Frank" <Frank.Maerz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:16:44 +0100
Title: Nachricht
Hello,

I got the problem that ethereal crashes while opening a file. Could somebody tell me why this happens. I have tried to gather as much information as possible, but I think I did not get much value information. In the past I usually got a back trace which help. However this time the ethereal behavior is different.

The file is a merged file with holds data for 3600 seconds. The file size is 303135KB.

Doing a back trace while opening the file as root does not give much information. The windows freeze (Ethereal and the window 39% of Loading: moritz.eth). The gdb program stops.

(gdb) c
Continuing.
Beendet

[2]+  Stopped                 ethereal
[root@box01 root]#

If I run Ethereal without gdb the ethereal windows just close and I get nothing.

Running ethereal as sudo as another user the back trace gives the following results.

(gdb) c
Continuing.

[Switching to Thread -150547488 (LWP 24187)]
0x003d9402 in ?? ()
(gdb)

Using the file in tethereal give the following output.

tethereal -r moritz.eth -R "(gtp)" -w test.eth
965444
** ERROR **: file proto.c: line 2072 (alloc_field_info): assertion failed: (*length >= 0)
aborting...
Abgebrochen

[root@box01 root]#

I am lost at this stage, so if somebody could help me I would really appreciate it. I was looking for a core file, but there is none.

What can I do gather better information?  I am using Fedora 2 on a HP ProLaint 360 and the ethereal version 0.10.8.

Best regards,

Frank