Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] How to use dissector_add

Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 18:45:39 +0100
Hi,

> I've tried this solution using port 4096 successfully: the dissector
> becomes visible in the "decode as..." window. Is this the right solution?

If ALC conversations are "started" from some other protocol what you
might want to do is to create the ALC conversation from that protocol
so that it gets dissected afterwards. Check packet-rtp.c and
packet-rtsp.c  to see how RTP conversations are defined and how they
are created from RTSP.

However, a much simpler apporoach would be to use a preference setting
for the port like packet-rtsp.c does for itself.

The harder approach would be a heuristic dissector, one that reads a
packet and determines if it ALC. RTP does it as well you can see what
it does.

Luis