Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] File browsing slow or hangs on Windows - bug?

From: "Olivier Biot" <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:15:59 +0100
Hi Susanne,

One common problem is access to network shares. I suspect you have a number of network drives you have automatically mounted at login time. Try unmounting those drives. This is simple to achieve, if you have sufficient privileges on your computer. Hit <WindowsKey>+R, type "cmd" and hit the ENTER key. In the command window, type: "net use * /delete /yes" (this will unmount all network drives; you may need to logout and login in order to get back those network drives afterwards).

When you have unmounted the network drives, try running Ethereal. It should run much faster now. If not, then please let us know!

Best regards,

Olivier
----- Original Message ----- From: Susanne Edlund

Dialog boxes for open or printing to file takes a very long time to respond to user interaction and sometimes simply returns to the top-level directory when clicking on a directory in the file tree. The cancel button often require several clicks to take effect. The dialog boxes sometimes hang. What causes this unstable behaviour? I have had no such problems on Solaris. I have tried both gtk 1.3 and gtk 2.2.

Regards,

Susanne