Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Was packet-rtnet fixed and I missed it?

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 04:03:45 -0800
Lars Roland wrote:

What should happen to "flags_set_truth"? IMO we should remove it from "libethereal.def". The way it is used in dissectors (initializing static variables, e.g hf_register_info arrays) we can't use it in plugins on Win32.

I.e., unlike the way most (all?) UNIX shared library mechanisms work, with the data being linked statically and the code being linked dynamically, so that the data is at a fixed address, allowing pointers to be used as initializers for static variables, the Windows shared library mechanism links the data dynamically, so that the address isn't known until run time, and the run-time linker doesn't patch up the data at run time?