Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Bug with ADNS in Windows XP

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:33:17 -0800
Francisco Alcoba (TS/EEM) wrote:

There have been a number of people reporting crashes of Ethereal 0.10.7
related to ADNS 1.0.0.4 in Windows XP. See, for instance:

	http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-users/200411/msg00014.html

Unfortunately I have no access to an XP system, am not able to reproduce the
problem and have no idea what the "offset", which seems to be the only pointer
to where the problem might be, means.

I *suspect* the offset is the offset of the failing instruction within the ADNS DLL.

If they're seeing this on systems that don't have TCP/IP configured, this is a bug for which I've recently checked in a fix. (The bug was reported in private mail to me; had it been reported to the list, others might have seen it and suspected that other ADNS crashes were the same problem.)

The underlying problem was that Ethereal wasn't checking whether the attempt to initialize ADNS succeeded - I suspect it *doesn't* succeed if TCP/IP isn't configured - and was still trying to use it and to shut it down when exiting, which caused it to attempt to use the null pointer it got back from the ADNS initialization routine, which caused the ADNS code to crash when it tried to dereference that pointer.