Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] It was "the Thing", now is a plugin called mate

From: Olivier Jacques <olivier.jacques@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:36:50 +0100
LEGO wrote:

Hi,

If I understand it correct, this will be some kind of user configurable
high level dissection?

Yes, It does fetch data from other dissectors to create relationships
between different frames, on which one can  then filter on. What to
fetch and how to relate the frames comes from the configuration.

Luis, I'm also trying to understand what "mate" does. Can't we better define it as a "conversation detector engine"? From what I understood, The mate allows (with the appropriate configuration - but it seems that the configuration allows more) to correlate PDUs that belong to one conversation, even if they are not using the same protocol.

Is that correct?

Anyway, I'm going to give it a shot.

Olivier.