Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Fwd: questions regarding new dissector

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 20:45:42 +0100
nimalan s wrote:

Hi,
I forgot to inform the version of ethereal in my last
mail and so I am resending this mail.Please excuse me
for this duplication work and inconvinience caused by
me.

Ethereal version:0.10.6
You might better use current source versions for Ethereal development.

At least the latest released 0.10.7 versions, even a lot better would be to use the subversion sources.

I've start to write a developer's guide, you might have a look at:

http://wiki.ethereal.com/Development

Hi,
I would be glad to to know how and where to add new
dissector file (packet-xxx.c) so that ethereal could
recognise it.
2.As suggested in Readme.developer,I could not find
Dissector_src in Makefile.common but the file contains
Libethereal_src,Libethereal_support and
Dissector_support.Where should I add the name of my
source file.
That phrase was fixed in the 0.10.7 release.

3.I have added the file packet-xxx.c in dissector
directory in epan.IS that correct?Because when i
rebuilt ethereal there is no visible change.
It's correct to use epan/dissectors/Makefile.common. What kind of visible changes do you expect?

4.What would be the next step that i have to perform
inorder to use my dissector as a part of Ethereal.
Well, compile and test it. But be sure to *not* use an already installed Ethereal version while testing.

I'm doing development on Win32, so I can't help you a lot on this.

Regards, ULFL