Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] "WinPcap 3.1 beta 3" can capture from modems!

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:09:32 +0200
Guy Harris wrote:

Ulf Lamping wrote:

Good News: The current /*WinPcap 3.1 beta 3*/ is able to capture from modems :-)

Yes, I know, but...

I'm using it to capture on my WinXP notebook from the modem line and it's working very fine.

Do we want to put a note about this in the faq?

...I wasn't sure whether we should encourage users to run beta software or not.

Well, I wouldn't say encouraging. When someone really needs that feature, it might be better to get the tip that it could work on his machine instead of don't mention anything at all.

I really don't want to have it seen as default or even put that version on "our" webpage.

I've done that in the past, but noted that it *is* a beta version and might have bugs that will cause other problems, and told people to report those problems to the WinPcap developers so that they know about them and might be able to fix them.

That sounds like a good approach to put into the FAQ, and maybe add a link to the download page of winpcap.

Regards, ULFL