Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Problem with get_host_ipaddr in addr_resolv.c for win32

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:22:19 -0700
Ulf Lamping wrote:

No, MSVC doesn't have inet_aton, but interestingly inet_ntoa is supported.

As always, the Microsoft way is to support something that *looks* like a socket interface at first sight, but well, it's a bit different.

If I remember correctly, "inet_aton()" is newer than "inet_ntoa()"; I think BSD originally had "inet_ntoa()" and "inet_addr()", with "inet_aton()" showing up later.