Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] gtk2 file chooser: direct pathname entry

From: "Eric Wedel" <ewedel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:11:00 -0700
Since I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in conjunction with ethereal, thought I'd let you know:

The gtk2 file open dialog does in fact permit entry of text pathnames.  After bringing up the open dialog, type control-L and you will be presented with a little popup window where you can enter your path.

Nice feature, but the dialog itself gives absolutely no hint that the feature exists.  Major bug, imho.

But at least until gtk2 gets its act together, this makes it somewhat usable (and also lets us benefit from the scrollbar memory which gtk2 has and gtk1 has lost in ethereal).

regards, Eric

ps:  only tested in win32.  Found this tidbit at this link:
  http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/04/03/16/2218241.shtml

Eric, BlueArc Engineering