Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Maximum capture rates with full protocoldissection?

From: "Ronnie Sahlberg" <ronnie_sahlberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 16:40:02 +1000
Many people have managed to capture very close to saturated GbE links with
no/neglible packetloss
under finetuned linux boxen.

You need a good hi-performance MB with a good bus system.
Lots of CPU, dual 2+ GHz ?

And i particular a high bandwidth diskbackend.   4 modern fast IDE disk in a
stripe config should be sufficient.

In my experience,   no matter how highend the pc is,  w2k starts dropping
packets at around 300-400mbit/s   then everything above ~600mbit/s is
dropped.