Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] 0.10.3 release later this week?

From: Lars Roland <Lars.Roland@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 14:31:23 +0200
Ian Schorr wrote:
With talk of a new release, was there final consensus on this? Will GTK+2 be the GUI default for 0.10.4?

If changed in the Windows installer, should it also be the configure default? I'd like this just based on personal preference but I'm sure others would disagree.

Just to make it clear. The Windows installer (created by an NSIS script) can contain both GTK1 and GTK2 version of ethereal. The user can choose during installation between these versions. Currently the GTK1 version is default.

Current questions regarding the nsis-installer are:
1) make GTK2 default or not?
2) GTK2-Wimp installed by default or not?
3) Detection of previous installation of Ethereal?

Of course, you still have to build both GTK1 and GTK2 version to put them into the installer.

Is there a rpm or whatever for non-Win OS that contains both GTK1 and GTK2 version of Ethereal? Is it even possible with RPM? The packages usually contain only one version.

Besides installation defaults there are the build defaults. The build defaults are in config.nmake for MSVC and AFAIK in the configure script for gcc based builds.

Current questions regarding the build defaults in config.nmake:
1) Build GTK1, GTK2 or both by default?
2) Build libethereal.dll by default?
3) Use doxygen by default?

Note:
Size of Windows Installer with both GTK1 and GTK2 version of Ethereal:
1) If build without libethereal.dll: ~15.5 Mb
2) If build with libethereal.dll: ~8 Mb
3) If build with libethereal.dll and without /DEBUG linker flag: ~5.5 Mb

I do not have any strong opinion on these issues. I use my personal defaults anyway. :)

Regards,

Lars