Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Checked in statistics menu, 3rd proposal

From: Ian Schorr <ischorr3@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:35:04 -0800

>Could you give some examples, what you are doing with it, so we could
>find a good name through this approach.

A few things I do:

- Generate response time statistics over time (average, max vs. average, etc.
- Plot comparison graphs of distribution of call types (or just about any other filterable information)
- Plot client LOAD statistics/number of outstanding requests in a given time interval
- Watch for "excessive" broadcasts/multicasts
- Etc.

>Nonetheless I'm still unhappy with "Throughput Graph" as I think you're
>right that it doesn't fit the purpose well.

It really seems misleading.

>Traffic Graph
>Filtered Graph
>User Specified Graph (my favorite!)

Out of these I like "Traffic Graph" the best ("Filtered" isn't accurate, I can build graphs without applying any sort of filter, and "User Specified Graph" rolls off the tongue like "Human-Intended Drafting Surface" describes "desk" =) , though I'm not sure how any of these (or "Generic Graph" =) are any more specific than "IO Graphs".

Ian