Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] (no subject)

From: Richard Sharpe <rsharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 11:06:37 -0800 (PST)
On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Olivier Biot wrote:

> | Hmmm, but perhaps what I could do is check if it is the proto field,
> and
> | if so, simply return the value from that column ... that might work.
>
> The proto column is not *the* protocol used, but *a* protocol present
> in the packet. There is no reference to the protocol which has set the
> column value, so it is not "possible" to build a display filter based
> on the proto column.

Well, since the protocol column typically displays the bottom-level
protocol, it seems to me that it would make most sense to simply build a
filter based on that.

Eg, if the protocol column currently displays SMB, and I right click over
that and select Match-->Selected, then I probably want to see only SMB
packets.

Regards
-----