Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Update to file.c for searching

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 09:23:36 +0100
Guy Harris wrote:

Greg Morris said:
I was getting complaints from users about "When I am searching it wraps
around and I don't remember where I started from". This is just a
feature to inform the user that they have reached the end of the file
and the search is continuing back at the beginning. Adobe Acrobat and
most Office type applications notify the user when searches reach the
end of the file.

At least some of the Windows applications I've seen do so because they
don't wrap the search (which I *REALLY* hate in, for example, some Windows
Web browsers, as it forces me to go to a backwards search, which means the
next search I do is a backwards search, so if I want a forwards search I
have to remember to switch back to a forwards search).

Others do wrap, e.g. Quicken.

Is this a Windows vs. various-UNIX-desktops (a category into which I'm
putting Mac OS X) issue?

On win32, some applications will ask, some won't ask, and some won't even wrap.
So there's no real standard behaviour in this topic.

I think this is a better behaviour to show this dialogs, as it let's the user know whats going on.

Regards, ULFL