Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Deactivate "Apply" button if the display filter is not valid?

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 07:29:22 +0100
Guy Harris wrote:

On Feb 9, 2004, at 2:33 AM, Biot Olivier wrote:

Today the display filter is shaded green if valid and red if invalid. Maybe we want to activate the "Apply" button only if the display filter is valid.

If you deactivate the "Apply" button (which presumably also means that if you press the "Enter" key, it won't apply the filter), you can't try to compile an invalid filter in order to get an error dialog indicating *why* it's not valid.

That's true, but I don't know, if the current error text will help the user very much in most cases.

I usually get "Unexpected end of filter string" which won't help me much finding the error in the filter string at all.

If the error text will be more helpful in the future (don't know if that's possible), I would agree to your statement.

Regards, ULFL