Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] looping make all on latest cvs.

From: Andrew Hood <ajhood@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:32:33 +1100
Biot Olivier wrote:
Comment out the line with the .PHONY rule in Makefile.am. We'll need another
means of building the cvsversion.h target (also because the autotools
already define a .PHONY target, as can be seen in Makefile.in).

Any target with no dependencies is supposed to be remade *every* time, so a rule like (I haven't updated my CVS so haven't seen the code):

cvsversion.h:
	make-version.pl

should be enough. What can help stop infinite makes is to not write cvsversion.h immediately, but write a temporary file, diff it with cvsversion.h and either move the temp file to cvsversion.h or delete it if there was no change.

Andy
                -- Dr. Who