Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Run make-version.pl when needed

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 01:56:50 +0100
On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 11:59:55PM +0100, Olivier Biot wrote:
> Would it be acceptable to add the CVS/Entries files to the dependency
> list for building cvsversion.h? The only issue is then that we must
> find a means of maintaining this list when adding/removing/moving
> directories. Eventually we could have the autotools look for the
> CVS/Entries files, but I dont' know whether the autotools provide such
> a mechanism.

I've checked in a fix to run make-version.pl every time make is executed
in the toplevel dir. The fix makes use of the special .PHONY target. I
don't know, whether this is GNU make specific or not. In case it is, I
can check in a different fix, which is not as clean as this one but would
be portable instead.
The above paragraph doesn't answer the question you wrote above, but maybe
it fixes the problem that caused you to ask this question ;-)

 Ciao
       Jï¿œrg