Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] XUL => native Windows update

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 21:14:48 -0600
Ulf Lamping wrote:

> I could remove the DeprecationWarning when simply removing the ü char
> (line 3 in xulender.py), this might be a warning as I'm using python
> version 2.3

Apparently so.  I'm using Python 2.2 (ActiveState) and it doesn't
complain about the "ü".

> The unbound prefix error was due to the prefix "ethereal:" at line 63
> and the following ones in ethereal-main.xul. I simply removed them, and
> I could compile.
> I just don't know if that was the right thing to do.

Python 2.2 doesn't complain about this.  From my limited knowledge of
XML I had inferred that it was OK to create our own namespace with
"ethereal:" for custom controls.  Maybe we should use "ethereal-" instead?

> After fixing this, I could compile and got a wethereal.exe. I could open
> the about and file open dialogs, but when I tried to load a file, it
> failed somewhere in the epan code,
> regardless of which file I choosed.

Ugh.  After checking out a fresh source tree from CVS, unpacking the
xulender code, and compiling wethereal.exe opens and browses just fine
here.  From your error output it looks like we're using the same version
of MSVC++ (6.00.8168.0).  I'll upgrade to Python 2.3 in the next day or
so to see if I can duplicate the problems you're having.