Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Please test: shared libs

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 13:22:08 +0100
On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 09:55:02AM +0100, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> I think it's a good idea to do this.

I did this about 3-4 years ago (IIRC) but never finished the patch.
This time I intend to do it in little steps and not everything at
once. Also, it has been requested quite a few times, and I've finally
taken the time to start again :)

> As we now have three GUI's (GTK1, GTK2  and tethereal) and there is a
> native win32 GUI at the horizon coming from Gerald,
> I think it's a good idea to have a better seperation of the functional
> blocks.

Definitely. Also, after putting the dissector into a shared lib, the
binaries are really small:

root     root          312 Feb  7 06:49 /usr/local/bin
root     root        17790 Feb  7 06:49 /usr/local/bin/mergecap
root     root        17239 Feb  7 06:49 /usr/local/bin/editcap
root     root       968724 Feb  7 06:49 /usr/local/bin/ethereal
root     root        36789 Feb  7 06:49 /usr/local/bin/text2pcap
root     root         2564 Feb  7 06:49 /usr/local/bin/idl2eth
root     root       247171 Feb  7 06:49 /usr/local/bin/tethereal
root     root          528 Feb  7 06:48 /usr/local/lib
root     root     11113156 Feb  7 06:48 /usr/local/lib/libethereal.so.0.0.1
root     root       172719 Feb  7 06:46 /usr/local/lib/libwiretap.so.0.0.1
root     root          902 Feb  7 06:46 /usr/local/lib/libwiretap.la
root     root          887 Feb  7 06:48 /usr/local/lib/libethereal.la

> BTW: It might not be a good idea to check in these changes before the
> next release, but I think you'd mentioned that yourself.

Actually, I'd like to see the current state (v2) in the next release.
Moving the files around should wait, but the changes I've made so far
are trivial (which is not a synonym for correct - I know :)
As all the auto...stuff is a bit (ok, more than a bit ;-> of voodoo,
it needs to be tested on as many platforms as possible.

> I might be able to help you getting this into the win32 makefiles, but I
> don't have much knowledge about DLL generation,
> and would like some other things cleaned up before the next release.

DLL-Generation on Win is independent from the stuff on the unix side.
In fact, the changes on the unix side don't touch anything that is
relevant to the windows stuff. The second patch I sent this night is
different: the make stuff for the dissectoin stuff needs to be moved
from the toplevel Makefile.nmake into the epan/Makefile.nmake
I can provide the patch, but I can't test it.

  Ciao
             Jï¿œrg