Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Please test: shared libs

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 00:56:18 +0100
On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 03:42:23PM -0800, Guy Harris wrote:
> Let me (or somebody) test it on, at minimum, Mac OS X *and* Solaris
> first

Sure

> 	1) not dependent on systems using ELF;
>
> 	2) not dependent on GNU ld.

Exactly. In theory, libtool is supposed to make sure that no such
problems occur. That's why I am waiting for feedback

> >Things I'd like to get feedback on too:
> >Should I make dfilter into a shared lib too?
>
> Should the dfilter stuff be a separate library, or should it be
> considered part of libethereal?

Sounds good to me: Using display filters without the dissection stuff
doesn't seem to make too much sense :)
It sounds so good to me, that I've jsut changed my internal sources
to do that.

> It's not static on Windows - is there any reason to keep it static on
> UN*X?

None that I know of.

> Note that version numbers should be maintained as per the usual rules,
> i.e. the major version number should change whenever a change is made
> that breaks binary compatibility with programs built with the older
> library.

Yes.

  Ciao
                  Jï¿œrg