Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] MMSE and needless cleared column (dissector handles and media dis

From: "Olivier Biot" <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 01:28:24 +0100
Hi list,

Today's Ethereal does not make the distinction bewteen an MMSE message
encapsulated in a multipart entity, and a standalone MMSE message. The
MMSE dissector is registered with the media dissector table. As a
result, I am not able to distinguish between multipart and
non-multipart encapsulation of MMSE. I have a private copy of the MMSE
dissector where I added a dissect_mmse_encapsulated() method which
preserves the Protocol column and appends the MMSE summary to the Info
column, and a dissect_mmse_standalone() method which updates the
Protocol column and clears the Info column.

How could I again make the distinction between standalone and
multipart? Do I need to add a "multipart_media_type" dissector table
for such cases and then first try to find a match in this dissector
table and if no match found, try the default media dissector table?

Regards,

Olivier