Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] gtk1 and/or gtk2 on Windows

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 17:20:35 +0100
Anders Broman (TN/EAB) wrote:

Hi,
I think the discussion took another turn somewhere so to be clear on this subject only.

First do we want to make gtk2 avalable now ? I'd say yes - in that way we'll get feed back on how it works out
and any one who doesn't like it can use the GTK1 version.
I would agree.

BTW has anyone checked the difference in performance lately.
I didn't measured it, but it's looking really ok to me now.

Which brings us on to how to supply it.
The way to look at it I suppose is that it's the same program with two different GUI's and you can chose which GUI version you want to install
e.g you can't have ( officially ) both programs loaded at the same time as they will install into the same directory using the same
name on the binary, shourtcuts etc.

If that's accepted the best option is probably to have two installers one for GTK1 and one for GTK2 and you chose which one to download.
If we want to improve this later we can look at the possibillties of giving options in the installer(s).
Well, that's the way I'm thinking of too.

My private CVS generation is just like this:

Having two setup.exe's: e.g. "ethereal-setup-0.10.0.exe" and "ethereal-gtk2-setup-0.10.0.exe" Both installers will do exactly the same thing, installing all the files needed to the destinations.

Except that the gtk2 one will install the GTK2 version of the ethereal.exe with the appropriate GTK2 DLL's (it will take the generated ethereal-gtk2.exe and install it as ethereal.exe).

So we will get two setup.exe files, and the user has to choose which one he likes to install. This should be explained a bit at the website (in the win32 distribution page).

If this is ok for everyone, I will check in my changes to the Makefiles and nsi files tomorrow.

BTW: I've also changed the generation name and makefile targets and such from ethereal2.exe to ethereal-gtk2.exe, to avoid conflicts with a future Ethereal version 2.

Regards, ULFL