Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Adding list-type data to a column

From: Biot Olivier <Olivier.Biot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 10:19:09 +0100
|From: Guy Harris
|
|On Feb 4, 2004, at 3:14 PM, Olivier Biot wrote:
|
|> There's no function yet in epan/column_utils.[ch] which
|enables adding
|> a string to the column if the column is empty, and prefix this string
|> with a separator otherwise. I'm still having problems in naming that
|> function.
|
|Well, if we're willing to make changes to all dissectors and
|other code
|that calls the "col_append_*str()" routines, there's a suggestion I
|made in another message:
|
|	(BTW, should the "col_append_*str" routines take a
|"char *" argument
|that, if not null, is appended to the string before appending the new
|text if the string is not empty, so that you can put in a
|space, or ";",
|or "; ", or... to separate the new item from any existing items without
|that item showing up at the beginning of the column?  The same might
|apply to "proto_item_append_text()", and possibly even
|"proto_item_append_string()".)

Yeah... I remember this post.

|I.e., call them "col_append_str()" and "col_append_fstr()", but add a
|separator string argument.

I think your proposal is OK, but we will have to update the 839 occurrences
of the col_append_X() methods :)

Another remark: do we also have to take the fence in consideration? I can
imagine 2 dissectors writing to the info column where we have encapsulation
like in an HTTP POST or reply with a multipart entity.

Regards,

Olivier