Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Next Release: Win32 NSIS installer pendingquestions

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:10:34 -0800

On Feb 4, 2004, at 2:26 PM, Ulf Lamping wrote:

BUT: don't hide that possibility to novice users! They might have very different needs compared to yours and might find colorfilters *very* useful for their needs,

There's a difference between finding color filters useful and finding a particular *set* of color filters useful.

I don't think anybody's arguing that color filters are never useful to anybody.

I'm just not yet convinced that we can supply a set of color filters that will be sufficiently generally useful. If 99% of the users end up creating their own color filters and throwing away the pre-supplied ones, it's not clear that it was worth supplying them....

If the underlying problem is just that people don't know that they *can* color the display, then

1) I don't know that supplying a standard set of color filters will help much - the user might well just assume that we've hard-wired the colors into the system, and *still* end up frequently asking the list how to color the display the way *they* want;

	2) that sounds more like a documentation issue.