Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Next Release: Win32 NSIS installer pendingquestions

From: "Greg Morris" <gmorris@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:14:49 -0700
But I do think that you will agree that color filters to at least indicate errors is something that most would find usefull. The hard part is going through each protocol dissector to determine these values. I still believe that we have everyone submit the ones they are aware of. Perhaps a living error filter list that can be updated over time.

Greg

On Feb 4, 2004, at 2:26 PM, Ulf Lamping wrote:

> BUT: don't hide that possibility to novice users! They might have very
> different needs compared to yours and might find colorfilters *very*
> useful for their needs,

There's a difference between finding color filters useful and finding a
particular *set* of color filters useful.

I don't think anybody's arguing that color filters are never useful to
anybody.

I'm just not yet convinced that we can supply a set of color filters
that will be sufficiently generally useful.  If 99% of the users end up
creating their own color filters and throwing away the pre-supplied
ones, it's not clear that it was worth supplying them....

If the underlying problem is just that people don't know that they
*can* color the display, then

    1) I don't know that supplying a standard set of color filters will
help much - the user might well just assume that we've hard-wired the
colors into the system, and *still* end up frequently asking the list
how to color the display the way *they* want;

    2) that sounds more like a documentation issue.