Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] fixes for nsis-installer script and makefile

From: "Greg Morris" <gmorris@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 10:03:18 -0700
My nsis script that I use to build the Win32 distribution, adds the option to install the preference files at install time. They are then removed by the install when the program is removed. It is nice to give new users sample color, display, and capture filters when they install Ethereal. They can then uncheck the option if they do not want to overwrite their existing preference files.

A nice thing that could be added is that the Ethereal distribution do much the same thing but I think a check for the existence of the preference files would be nice and then prompt the user if they wanted to overwrite.

I used to provide the preference files and then gave instructions on how to install. But to many time people would call me about problems because they were not logging into the system with the administrator user object. The section of the Ethereal.nsi that installs the preference files reads the APPDATA environment variable to get the path to the users application data directory.

Section "Preference Files"
;-------------------------------------------

ReadEnvStr $R0 "APPDATA"
CreateDirectory "$R0\Ethereal"
SetOutPath $R0\Ethereal
File "\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Ethereal\preferences"
File "\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Ethereal\dfilters"
File "\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Ethereal\cfilters"
File "\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Ethereal\colorfilters"
SectionEnd

>>> lars.roland@xxxxxxx 2/3/2004 9:33:30 AM >>>
Hello,

Anders Broman (TN/EAB) wrote:
> Hi,
> Would it be good to add :
> (from bigtest.nsi )
>
>   IfFileExists "$INSTDIR" 0 NoErrorMsg
>     MessageBox MB_OK "Note: $INSTDIR could not be removed!" IDOK 0 ; skipped if file doesn't exist
>   NoErrorMsg:
>
> to the script?

Yes. There are probably a lot of things in the installer which can be
improved. The new NSIS 2 provides perhaps more useful but still unused
features.

> I managed to run the unistaller while ethereal was active and got all the *.dll's and
> the directories left.
> I don't know if it would be a good idea to try and remove one *.dll first and then do the check
> so the 'uninstaller' don't get deleted or if there's another better way of doing it?

There should be at leaast some sort of error check or a message for the
user. I will do some investigation.

>  Should we also ask if the prefs. files should be deleted ?

Is there an easy way in nsis to do that?

Best Regards,

Lars Roland