Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Capturing from multiple interfaces, and why we need this.

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 21:42:04 +0100
Olivier Biot wrote:

...result, Ethereal would indeed only know about display filters (which I
*really* want to be renamed to *dissection filters* as I think that's
a more intuitive name for those)

I hardly disagree, that renaming "display filters" to "dissection filters" would be more intuitive, unless you no what a dissector for Ethereal is, this term doesn't make any good sense for the novice user.

When I was new to ethereal, it took some time to be sure what an dissector was. The term dissecting isn't used by other network analyzers, I was familiar with the term "decoding" for this before.

BTW: The term dissecting could be applied to both capturing and displaying, so IMHO this isn't a good name for this.

Regards, ULFL