Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Capturing from multiple interfaces, and why we need this.

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 12:11:59 -0800
On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 12:03:02PM +0100, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> c) as far as I know, on unix (linux only?) you can use an "all"
> interface, which will capture from all interface at once.

Linux-only.

Libpcap relies on the fact that the underlying object that implements
packet capture (a PF_PACKET socket) doesn't have to be bound to a
particular interface - if it's not bound to that interface, it supplies
packets for all interfaces.

Other packet capture mechanisms don't implement that.