Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] (no subject)

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 10:43:25 -0800
On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:35:40PM -0600, Carlos E. Hernandez wrote:
> I used WinDump, and when I use the WinDUMP -D command , I get no error,
> but I don't get the list either, it just says that the operation
> completed succesfull.

As the main FAQ on this issue:

	http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#capprobwin

says:

	If you cannot capture on the interface with WinDump, this is
	almost certainly a problem with one or more of:

	   o the operating system you're using;
	   o the device driver for the interface you're using;
	   o the WinPcap library and/or the WinPcap device driver;

	so first check the WinPcap FAQ, the local mirror of that FAQ, or
	the Wiretapped.net mirror of that FAQ, to see if your problem is
	mentioned there.  If not, then see the WinPcap support page (or
	the local mirror of that page) - check the "Submitting bugs"
	section.

I.e., if WinDump shows the same problem that Ethereal does, it's a
WinPcap problem, not an Ethereal problem, and you should ask the WinPcap
developers for help.