Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Changes in the filter GUI

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 01:43:43 -0800
On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 10:34:42AM +0100, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> Also when editing the filter string field, the background color will
> become red or green, depending on the correct syntax of the filter
> string.

Do those two colors look like different shades of gray to people who
have red/green or full color blindness?  (Or is the loss of the hint for
those people not worth the effort of worry about it?)

(No, I'm not color blind myself, but it might be worth thinking about
when designing UI features.  Note that the GNOME HIG mentions this:

	http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/usabilityprinciples.html#accessibility

"Accessibility means enabling people with disabilities of some kind to
participate in life's activities: in this case, specifically to use your
software. For example:

    o  Color-blind users may not be able to use your application if you
       rely only on color-coding to distinguish different types of
       information"

although, in this case, it's not distinguishing different types of
information, it's only providing a hint whose loss probably isn't fatal
- after all, it was arguably not really a hint to people using that
feature before the message to which I'm replying arrived, as I noticed
the background coloring but had no clue what it was telling me.)