Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Ethereal Client/Server Model

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 01:43:04 -0800
On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 03:57:22PM +1100, Brad Hards wrote:
> I'd like to see something like SLP or DNS-SD used, so that if Ethereal is
> built with remote capture support, it can automatically find the potential
> capture sources.

It might be useful to support both.

We'd want to register a DNS SRV name:

	http://www.dns-sd.org/ServiceNames.html

for DNS-SD.

That'd involve a new API in libpcap, for querying what capture sources
are available, giving capture source protocol (rpcap, rmon, TZSP, etc.),
host information, and possibly a set of attributes.