Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] RFQ - Print as HTML

From: "Fulvio Risso" <fulvio.risso@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 13:21:16 +0100
Hi.

I would like to point out that I'm not an XML/XSL expert.
The code that allows visualization of PDML files in HTML has been done by a
couple of our students.
However, the problem is that you have several packets within the PDML file,
and you have to display one at once.
For that, you have to use some feature (i.e. selecting the current packet)
that are proprietary (in this case "Microsoft data island"). I cannot say
that for sure; this is what my students told me. And this is how Analyzer
works.
I'll be very happy to make it running on other platforms, since I'm using
Mozilla Firebird for web surfing.
However, I don't know how to do that.

> That's the only way to do this, I think. If you want to save
> to HTML, you'll have to select *an* HTML format (including
> the layout, preferably with a cascading style sheet).
>
> | I have done some experiments with the IE and the Mozilla
> | XSL(T) engine for a different project, and it worked ok for me.
> |
> | But every browser has it's edges, as we all now ;-) and IE
> | has lot's of them :-(
> |
> | >To do that properly you should add support for PSML files,
> | i.e. a file that
> | >keeps the *summary* of the capture (basically, what Ethereal
> | displays in the
> | >window that lists all the packets in the capture).
> | >
> | >It may be an excellent idea to share the efforts to print
> | packets in HTML between Analyzer and Ethereal.
>
> This sounds fun!

Cheers,

	fulvio