Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Saving all packets between the first and the last marked pack

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:43:02 +0100
Dick Gooris wrote:
The many people the many idea's.
This is always true for the GUI things ;-)
- Wrote a parser function to accept ranges as proposed. Examples : 1-10,30,20-40,200  or -10,30,20-40,150-  - Made this robust in the way that it ignores strange input like double comma's or ranges in the opposite way ( 30-20,,#%10  internally translates to 10,20-30 )
Great, I don't like writing parsers, but I think we need one here. Is a comma the usual seperator for this? WinWord is using semicolon for this.
- Using the Print As look alike requirement, I set all the radiobuttons in a range frame and ordered as such.
Well, it shouldn't only "look alike", but also should *behave* the same way. I will have to make some changes for the print dialog (e.g. including the parser there).
- Used balloon help for the range entry which gives an example.
Good, but why not add help for all the radio buttons?
- I did not yet add the information about how many packets are to be saved as what the Print As widget currently brings.
For a first step ok, of course. I think, this info will give the user a better control about what will happen.
- Developed under Linux, so I do not have an idea about the functionality or successful compilation on the other OS's arround.
As the GTK things are usually not that platform dependant, this shouldn't be too hard. We'll see.

Some comments about the screenshot:

"The currently selected packet only" is a bit long, why not using "Selected packets only" like in the print dialog.

Of course, the radio buttons which doesn't currently makes sense (like "Market packets only", if no packet is marked), should be insensitive.

As always, if you are doing things in the GUI, you will get a lot of different ideas. As the save and print dialogs lacks for this feature for a long time,
I'm glad that there's no some movement in this topic.

Regards, ULFL