Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: [Ethereal-users] error opening C:\Program Files\Ethereal-0.9.

From: Ian Schorr <spamcontrol2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 20:59:32 -0500
Okay, perhaps this isn't THAT new. It happens (mostly) in 0.9.16 as well.

The code seems to use "current ethereal dir" + ASN1FILE, where ASN1FILE is "asn1/default.tt" as the default "asn1.file" pref. You probably last created this pref when you ran 0.9.16.

I could be wrong, but it looks like the way the code's written, it also will error if the pref that it read in differs from default value (current ethereal dir + "asn1/default.tt"). The code actually gets the same error either way (file does not exist), but doesn't report the error unless the Ethereal dir in the pref is different than the dir you're running Ethereal out of.

So I'm assuming you're like me - you installed Ethereal 0.10.0 into a new directory (a dir that was different from the one that is in your prefs file).

What I can't figure out is why Ethereal was exiting at some point after displaying this error message. It may have been unrelated to the ASN1 error (the ASN1 error was just the last thing displayed before Ethereal exited). I can't reproduce this now, though I can reproduce the error message.

Bilig:

I'm not sure what I did to get rid of the terminating problem - I THINK I simply got rid of the ASN1 plugin and it stopped happening. It'd be interesting to find out: If you edit your preferences file (it's in "\[your user home directory]\application data\ethereal" and called preferences) and change the "asn1.file" line to reflect the NEW directory that Ethereal is in and see if you still can't launch Ethereal.

Dev gurus:

There's several problems that I can see with the type table stuff in the asn1 code... For one, the fact that the default dir isn't particularly Windows-friendly. The fact that the "error opening..." message getting displayed only has SOMEWHAT to do with whether the error occurred or not... And the fact that an asn1 subdir nor a "default.tt" are part of the Ethereal distribution, but the code seems to treat it that way. Or am I missing something?

Ian