Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Generate protocol hierarchy?

From: Biot Olivier <Olivier.Biot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 23:22:34 +0100
[Message resent - pls ignore if received twice]

Hi List,

I'm certain that Ethereal has enough knowledge of protocol dependencies to
generate a massive protocol hierarchy (X runs on Y with binding Z for
registered protocols, and X runs on Y without binding for unregistered
protocols like the ones with a heuristic dissector).

Did anyone try this already? How difficult would it be to generate this?
This information may be extremely valuable!

A next step may be to use this knowledge to optimize the display filter
engine: maybe we can decide that a given packet cannot match a dfilter since
the packet cannot convey the given protocol...

Regards,

Olivier