Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] What is "File->Save Highlighted" menu item for?

From: Richard Sharpe <rsharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 11:52:53 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Guy Harris wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 10:31:38AM +0100, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> > Could someone explain to me, what the "File->Save Highlighted" menu
> > item is useful for? Please keep in mind, that this menu item is somewhat
> > very uncommon, and even worse, I don't have a clue, what it will really
> > do!
>
> I'll let Richard Sharpe explain when it's useful.

It's useful for those cases where you are trying to understand portions of
a packet or writing tools etc for other projects.

There are many places where blobs are included in packets, and this
feature allows you to extract a whole piece of a protocol to a file and
run other tools over it.

The idea was suggested by Andrew Tridgell who wanted to be able to extract
the NDR for DCE-RPC so he could run the tools he is developing in Samba
over a bunch of NDR to see if he handles it correctly.

Since we have vague hopes of actually generating Ethereal dissectors from
the NDR as well, this will form a useful facility for incrementally
handling new RPC interfaces.

Regards
-----