Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Performance: change the time format for a file with 500 000 frame

From: Jeff Morriss <morriss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 11:06:26 -0500

Speaking of performance...

Whatever happened to making changing the time format faster? E.g. from this thread:

http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-dev/200302/msg00029.html

I ask because I recently had the pleasure of looking at a 170,000 packet
file and wanted to change the time display format--I ended up giving up
after 5 minutes.  :(

If it's still not possible to make it very fast, would it be possible to
make the GUI update more frequently while it's doing this?  Currently it
seems to update every 3 seconds (which makes clicking "Stop" difficult)...

I could probably do such a time-format-change run with 'gprof' enabled if it would be interesting...