Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Redesign of the WHOLE Ethereal main menu

From: John McDermott <jjm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:28:36 -0700

Ulf Lamping wrote:
Can we get rid of the summary window that pops up when you start a capture (or make it optional at least)? I'd rather have it as another optional pane in the main window.

I would need a concept, before implementing anything of this. Someone (I think Guy Harris) has suggested, to optionally show only the number of frames for performance reasons, so there might be other ideas about this topic out there. BTW: Why do you think, this dialog shouldn't pop up?

I did not make the initial suggestion, but I have often wondered why it is there and why the particular protocols are in it. We can now stop capture from the menu so that button is unnecessary. Perhaps just a counter with the number of packets captured would be enough -- something in/on the main window. Even better if this window could be updated after a filter is applied to show xxxxx/yyyyy where xxxxx is the number of displayed packets and yyyyy the total in memory. One could even just put this in the message window on the bottom right.

would also be nice if the auto-scrolling was something I could click on and off while capture, rather than having to pick it once when I start.

I seldom want auto scrolling, but this would be a useful feature for me. I don't ever recall turning it on at capture start time, but have sometimes wished for it while watching a capture fly by.

--john

--
John McDermott
Writer, Educator, Consultant